Excessive teeth grinding or jaw clenching also called bruxism can damage the teeth and cause a number of painful symptoms.
Collectively, these are often referred to as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD).
Symptoms of TMD include:
- pain in the chewing muscles and/or jaw point.
- radiating pain in the face, jaw or neck.
- jaw muscle pain or stiffness.
- aching pain in and around the ears.
- limited jaw movement or locking.
- painful jaw clicking, popping or grinding when opening or closing the mouth.
- headaches or migraines.
- a change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together.